Monday, May 18, 2015

Psalm 119:17-20

Psalm 119:17-20
(17)  Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.

Why do we want God to deal bountifully with us? Honestly? We like to live a successful life; we like to be at ease, in comfort. But why? So we can live how we want to.

But what is the Psalmist's motive for asking for God's bountiful dealings? To the end that he could live to keep God's Word.

It is interesting to compare this with a couple Proverbs:
"He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live." (Proverbs 4:4)
"Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye." (Proverbs 7:2)

When we keep God's law, we will find that life is more abundant for living. Also, keeping God's law protects our lives.

(18)  Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Before any person can behold wondrous things from God's law, their eyes must be opened. "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

Once our eyes are opened, we still can pray for God to reveal His Word to us, that we can learn as we read.

(18)  Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
(19)  I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.

As strangers and pilgrims in this earth, we need God's commandments to guide us. God's Word is our instruction book to reach His home, are we using it? If we but seek Him, He will guide us.

(20)  My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.


What do we long (desire) for? Do we long for God's judgments so much that our soul breaks (crush, dissolve) for it? How do we treat God's judgments? Do we long for it? Do we desire it? If so, then that should show in our life, our behavior. How often do we turn to God's Word? Only on Sundays? Once a day? That does not reflect someone who truly desires God's Word. Oh, may the Lord increase my desire for His Word that I desire it more and more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your study on Psalm 119! This goes so well with what Pastor Young was saying last night about prayer. So often we (I!) want what God can DO for me instead of actually wanting Him or His word! I wonder how things would be different in my life if my only motive was to enjoy God and keep His word?

~Kenzi

Amanda Tero said...

@ Kenzi,

It's always neat to see how God pulls things together with sermons, Bible studies, etc. :)

Thanks for commenting!
Amanda

"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." Proverbs 1:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...