Monday, May 4, 2015

Psalm 119:13-15

Psalm 119:13-15
(13)  With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.

From God's mouth to our lips. Do we take what God has taught us and, in return, teach others? This reminds me of the Psalm I read this morning: "God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah. That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations." (Psalms 67:1-2) God has given us amazing blessings and mercy - do we, in return, share that with others? that His way may be known upon the earth? We must remember our responsibility: "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." (Luke 12:48)

(14)  I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
Rejoiced - (7797 - siys) be bright, i.e. cheerful

We are not to simply rejoice in God's testimonies - but in the way of His testimonies! If we were to suddenly gain wealth, wouldn't our way seem so much brighter? Our fears dissolved? In the same way, we are to view God's testimonies. We have all that we need by God's testimonies ("All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16-17). Are we rejoicing in that way or view it as a burden? (a ridiculous response to wealth: "*Sigh* I have all this money; it's such a burden to deal with, to provide what I need." - but how often is that our attitude towards God's Word?)

 (15)  I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
Meditate - OT:7878 siyach (see'-akh); a primitive root; to ponder, i.e. (by implication) converse (with oneself, and hence, aloud) or (transitively) utter:

It is interesting that this Hebrew word is translated not only as "meditate" but also "to speak." To meditate on God's Word is not only to hoard it to ourselves, but to think on it so much that it then becomes our manner of speech:
"Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works." (Psalm 105:2)
"Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes." (Psalm 119:23)
"Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works." (Psalm 119:27)
"My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes." (Psalm 119:48)
"Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts." (Psalm 119:78)
"Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word." (Psalm 119:148)
"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." (Psalm 143:5)
"I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works." (Psalm 145:5)

Respect - OT:5027 nabat (naw-bat'); a primitive root; to scan, i.e. look intently at; by implication, to regard with pleasure, favor or care:

To respect God's ways is not to merely think highly of them. It gives the same implication as verse 14, "I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches." God's ways, to the believer, should be that which we dive into with delight and carefulness.

This is the same Hebrew word used in the following verses:
"Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments." (Psalm 119:6)
"Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." (Psalm 119:18)

"Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee." (Proverbs 4:25)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...